What is COMPUTER?
- The word computer comes from the word “COMPUTE”.
- The word compute means to “calculate” or to “count”.
- A computer is an electronic machine that can accept and arrange data to get meaningful information.
Different Types of Computer
- Laptop Computer
- Personal Computer
- Palmtop Computer
- Mainframe Computer
C – Common
O – Oriented
M – Machine
P – Purposely
U – Used for
T – Trade and Business
E – Edu – tainment (education and Entertainment) and
R – Research
Basic parts of the Computer
- System Unit
Other parts of the Computer
- CD Writer
Humans vs. Computers
- Computers can do jobs without making mistakes
- Computers can compute thousands of numbers in seconds.
- Computers can store a large amount of data.
- Computers do not have feelings.
- Computers can do many jobs at the same time without getting tired.
- Humans can easily get tired when doing the same work.
- It takes minutes before people can add a long list of numbers.
- Humans can forget information.
- Humans needs tender loving care because we have feelings.
- Humans cannot do many jobs for long periods of time. It’s the person using the computer who usually has to take a break and rest.
Limitations of the Computer
- It cannot fix itself.
- Computer maintenance is very costly.
- It cannot make decision or judgment. It cannot think of itself.
- It cannot work without electricity.