Windows XP’s Start menu – provides more options like displaying the name of the user who is logged on. It enables the most frequently used programs to be added to the top level and move any programs to the Start menu.
Pinned Items List – programs found on the top of the separator line. The programs on the pinned items list remain there and are always available for use. Programs can be added to the pinned item list.
Frequently Used Programs List – programs found below the separator line.
Start menu options
All programs – displays a submenu of programs or folders containing an application software. The menu may be different from what is installed in different PC’s. this may happen because one can add more programs.
My Recent Documents – this option displays a submenu of the currently used documents. But some computers may not display this. It depends on the options chosen from its properties.
To show/hide the most recently used documents on the start menu:
- Right – click the Start button
- Click the properties
- On the Taskbar and Start Menu dialog Box, click on Start menu.
- Click on Customize. Then choose advanced tab.
- On the advanced tab, select the List my most recently opened documents check box. Check or uncheck it to display or hide the list of the recently opened documents.
Control Panel – this provides options for a new hardware or customize the appearance of the computer, add or remove programs and set up network connections and user accounts. It has specialized tools that are used to change the way windows looks and how it behaves.
Search – search is used to locate pictures, music, documents, files and folders in the PC. Open a window where one can pick search options and work with search results.
How to use Search Menu.
- Click on the Start button.
- click on Search
- Choose a Search Option.
- In the <All or part of the file name> text box, type the filename of the missing or forgotten file.
- Indicate in the <Look in > drop down list the box, the drive where to search for.
- Click on the Search button.
Help and Support – this launches a window for help topics, tutorials, troubleshooting and other support services.
How to use the Help menu.
- Click the Start button.
- Choose the Help and Support menu. The help and support center window will appear.
Run – it is used to start a program by typing or browsing the executable command.
Starting a program using the Run menu.
- Click the Start button.
- Choose the Run menu. The Run dialog box appears.
- Type the filename or browse for the executable file in a particular folder.
- Click Browse, from drive C: double click the windows folder, look for the System 32 folder, open it and then double click MS Paint.
- Click Ok.
Log Off – this is the option to log off from the current user and log in with another user. You can also switch from one user to another.
Turn Off Computer – this is used to properly shut down windows before turning off or restarting the computer. Clicking the Turn Off Computer will display a dialog box.
- Stand by – this will put the computer into stand by mode, meaning the computer will power down some parts like the monitor and hard drive to preserve energy.
- Turn Off – this shuts down the Win XP and the Pc.
- Restart – This will restart the computer and reboot Win XP.